[lldb-dev] Unreliable process attach on Linux

Florian Weimer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 5 12:30:27 PST 2019

* Zachary Turner:

> I'd be curious to see if the PID of the process that is failed to
> attach to is the same as one of the PIDs of a process that was
> previously attached to (and if so, if it is the first such case where
> a PID is recycled).

I added logging of the PID, and got this (the failure happened rather
quickly this time):

$ while ./test-attach ; do date ; done
PID: 16658
Sat Jan  5 21:28:28 CET 2019
PID: 16831
Sat Jan  5 21:28:29 CET 2019
PID: 17006
Sat Jan  5 21:28:30 CET 2019
PID: 17176
Sat Jan  5 21:28:30 CET 2019
PID: 17351
Sat Jan  5 21:28:31 CET 2019
PID: 17526
Sat Jan  5 21:28:32 CET 2019
PID: 17700
test-attach: SBTarget::Attach failed: lost connection

So there isn't any evidence of PID reuse.  My lldb -p test case also
triggers this with a long-running process, so there isn't any PID reuse
there either.

Thanks,
Florian