[lldb-dev] RFC: Moving debug info parsing out of process

Frédéric Riss via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 26 17:39:40 PST 2019

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 4:52 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:49 PM Frédéric Riss <friss at apple.com <mailto:friss at apple.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 26, 2019, at 4:03 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com <mailto:zturner at google.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I would probably build the server by using mostly code from LLVM.  Since it would contain all of the low level debug info parsing libraries, i would expect that all knowledge of debug info (at least, in the form that compilers emit it in) could eventually be removed from LLDB entirely.
>
> That’s quite an ambitious goal.
>
> I haven’t looked at the SymbolFile API, what do you expect the exchange currency between the server and LLDB to be? Serialized compiler ASTs? If that’s the case, it seems like you need a strong rev-lock between the server and the client. Which in turn add quite some complexity to the rollout of new versions of the debugger.
> Definitely not serialized ASTs, because you could be debugging some language other than C++.  Probably something more like JSON, where you parse the debug info and send back some JSON representation of the type / function / variable the user requested, which can almost be a direct mapping to LLDB's internal symbol hierarchy (e.g. the Function, Type, etc classes).  You'd still need to build the AST on the client

This seems fairly easy for Function or symbols in general, as it’s easy to abstract their few properties, but as soon as you get to the type system, I get worried.

Your representation needs to have the full expressivity of the underlying debug info format. Inventing something new in that space seems really expensive. For example, every piece of information we add to the debug info in the compiler would need to be handled in multiple places:
 - the server code
 - the client code that talks to the server
 - the current “local" code (for a pretty long while)
Not ideal. I wish there was a way to factor at least the last 2.

But maybe I’m misunderstanding exactly what you’d put in your JSON. If it’s very close to the debug format (basically a JSON representation of the DWARF or the PDB), then it becomes more tractable as the client code can be the same as the current local one with some refactoring.

Fred