[lldb-dev] how to set a watchpoint on an "unsigned short" parameter ?

Ted Woodward via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 15 08:46:59 PST 2019

I don't see anything on this line that would change x:
           fprintf(stderr, "some string %lu %c\n",
                    r==(void*)0UL)? 255UL : A_MACRO(r),
                    x? '0' : '1'
                  );

I suggest you set a breakpoint on the line and a breakpoint on the next line. Verify that x is the wrong value using "frame variable x" when you hit the second breakpoint.
Make sure this breakpoint is on a source line that does something, not in the middle of the function return.

If the value changes, disassemble the line and set a breakpoint on the call instruction for printf. See if the value changes when you hit that breakpoint.
If it does, look at the assembly and see if anything is changing the data at the address of x. You can get the address with "frame variable &x".
If the call to printf is changing the value of x, you've probably got stack corruption going on.

Clang is supported on Linux:

>uname
Linux
>which clang
/usr/bin/clang

So you aren't forced to use gcc just because you're targeting Linux.

watchpoint set syntax is as follows:

(lldb) help watch set
     Commands for setting a watchpoint.

Syntax: watchpoint set <subcommand> [<subcommand-options>]

If you're setting it on a variable and you have good DWARF info, you don't need to specify a size. From my example: