[lldb-dev] [RFC] Fast Conditional Breakpoints (FCB)

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 22 15:35:09 PDT 2019

Another possibility is to have the IDE insert NOP opcodes for you when you write a breakpoint with a condition and compile NOPs into your program.

So the flow is:
- set a breakpoint in IDE
- modify breakpoint to add a condition
- compile and debug, the IDE inserts NOP instructions at the right places
- now when you debug you have a NOP you can use and not have to worry about moving instructions

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 5:29 AM, Pedro Alves via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/22/19 12:36 AM, Ismail Bennani via lldb-dev wrote:
>>> On Aug 21, 2019, at 3:48 PM, Pedro Alves <palves at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Say, you're using a 5 bytes jmp instruction to jump to the
>>> trampoline, so you need to replace 5 bytes at the breakpoint address.
>>> But the instruction at the breakpoint address is shorter than
>>> 5 bytes.  Like:
>>>
>>> ADDR | BEFORE           | AFTER
>>> 0000 | INSN1 (1 byte)   | JMP (5 bytes)
>>> 0001 | INSN2 (2 bytes)  |                   <<< thread T's PC points here
>>> 0002 |                  |