[lldb-dev] [RFC] LLDB Reproducers

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 20 10:52:02 PDT 2018

> On Sep 20, 2018, at 4:16 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> For the first, I think 99% of the time the bug is not caused by the sequence of gdb remote packets.  The sequence of gdb remote packets just happens to be the means by which the debugger was put into the state in which it failed.  If there is another, stable way of getting the debugger into the same state this part is solvable.

Yes, I don't actually think we are in disagreement.

When you are trying to provide a way to actually gather the information to reproduce a bug that is happening in the wild, you want to be able to ensure that you gather whatever you need to do so.  You are trying to avoid a bunch of round-trips with the reporter.  How would you know that the problem is all above the basic Process model, in which case gathering just higher level behaviors will be enough to reproduce the bug?  That seems like a hard problem to me.  So instead, you try to be conservative and gather the information at the level that you know drives the system, in this case for process level bugs this is the gdb-packet traffic.  And if you are gathering at that level, the trace you've gathered is somewhat fragile.

So if you wanted to generate tests, you would do a post-processing step that takes the states generated by the lower level events from the reproducer and converts that into an object model level replayer.  That should be doable if you had the ability to mock behavior at the level of lldb_private::Process, etc.  I'm only saying I think the needs of the Reproducer are such that a direct use of its provider's data is unlikely to be a good way to implement tests.

Making a converter from "reproducer trace to "test" is a separate piece of work, and not directly related to reproducers.  After all, if done right this would be able to observe a user-driven debug session and make a test out of it as well.  But I don't think this level or recording is right for the Reproducer.

Another problem with using the reproducer traces to directly produce tests is that for good tests you generally want to reduce them to the simplest set of steps possible to show just this bug.  What you are going to get from an in-the-wild reproducer is unlikely to be that.  That's actually part of the point of the reproducer, to relieve bug reporters of the necessity of reducing their problem before submitting.  So you'd have to have some way of figuring out when the world was still correct, just before going bad, and then only include the set of steps leading from good to bad (there may be lots of extraneous actions in the trace.)

> The second issue you raised does seem like something that would require human intervention to specify the expected state though as part of a test

I also think some automated way to gather "what did you expect" would be helpful.  I have very often had to go many rounds with reporters to figure out what they are actually reporting as wrong.  But that isn't part of Jonas' proposal, and maybe is more work than is justified by saving the few of us who work on lldb from the "many rounds" described above.

Jim