[lldb-dev] [RFC] OS Awareness in LLDB

Alexander Polyakov via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 12:07:19 PDT 2018

Hi Leonard,

I think it will be kernel-mode debugging since debugging an application in
user mode is not an OS awareness imo. Of course, some of kernel's modules
might run in user-mode, but it will be ok I think.

Thanks for your reference, I'll take a look at it.

Also, I found out that ARM supports OS awareness in their DS-5 debugger.
They have a mechanism for adding new operating systems. All you need to do
is to describe OS' model (thread's or task's structure for example). I
think that is how it might be done in LLDB.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:26 PM Leonard Mosescu <mosescu at google.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexander, are you interested in user-mode, kernel-mode debugging or
> both?
>
> Fore reference, the current state of the art regarding OS-awareness
> debugging is debugging tools for windows
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/index> (windbg
> & co.). This is not surprising since the tools were developed alongside
> Windows. Obviously they are specific to Windows, but it's good example of
> how the OS-awareness might look like.
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Alexander Polyakov via lldb-dev <
> lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi lldb-dev,
>>
>> I'm a senior student at Saint Petersburg State University. The one of my
>> possible diploma themes is "OS Awareness in LLDB". Generally, the OS
>> awareness extends a debugger to provide a representation of the OS threads
>> - or tasks - and other relevant data structures, typically semaphores,
>> mutexes, or queues.
>>
>> I want to ask the community if OS awareness is interesting for LLDB users
>> and developers? The main goal is to create some base on top of LLDB that
>> can be extended to support awareness for different operating systems.
>>
>> Also, if you have a good article or other useful information about OS
>> awareness, please share it with me.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> Alexander