[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] Should we stop supporting building with Visual Studio?

Csaba Raduly via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 9 00:48:55 PDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 10:51 PM Zachary Turner via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> 1) Run CMake twice, generating to separate output directories.  Once using -G "Visual Studio 15 2017" and once using -G Ninja, each to different directories.
>
> 2) Open the VS one.  You have full IDE support.
>
> 3) Instead of hitting Ctrl+Shift+B to build, have a command prompt window open and type ninja.  Wait for it to complete.

If there were errors, eyeball-grep the console output and manually
navigate to the affected file/line. No thanks.

> If you want to you can make a custom tool command in Visual Studio so that you can access this from a keyboard shortcut.
>
> 4) When you want to debug, set your startup project (as you normally would), right click and hit properties, go to Debugging, change Command from $(TargetPath) to <type the full path to bin/foo.exe of the program you want to debug>.

Make some changes in the source, hit build, and wonder why the changes
don't appear in the debuggee. (because they got compiled into the VS
dir, not the ninja dir).

Csaba
--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler