[lldb-dev] increase timeout for tests?

Davide Italiano via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 12 19:54:09 PDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
> The problem with having no timeouts is that you have to then be fairly careful how you write tests.  You can't do:
>
> while (1) {
>    print("Set a breakpoint here and hit it a few times then stop the test");
> }
>
> because if the breakpoint setting fails the test can run forever.  And we wait forever to launch or attach to a process internally in lldb, so if you mess up attaching or launching in some situation, that again makes the test run forever.  The timeouts are a backstop so you will get useful results from the testsuite in the case of this sort of error.

I see this. So, maybe we should set this to a ridiculously large value
(e.g. 30/60 minutes)? FWIW, I have at home that's slow enough that the
testsuite times out more often, and that's not great (the funny part
is that there's nothing inherently wrong with the tests :) Would you
be fine with such a middle ground, Jim?

Thanks,

--
Davide