[lldb-dev] RFC: libtrace

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 26 12:48:21 PDT 2018

no expression parser or knowledge of any specific programming language.

Basically I just mean that the parsing of the native DWARF format itself is
in scope, but anything beyond that is out of scope.  For symbolication we
have things like llvm-symbolizer that already just work and are built on
top of LLVM's dwarf parsing code.  Similarly, LLDB's type system could be
built on top of it as well.  Given that I think everyone mostly agrees that
unifying on one DWARF parser is a good idea in principle, this would mean
no functional change from LLDB's point of view, it would just continue to
do exactly what it does regarding parsing C++ expressions and converting
these into types that clang understands.

It will probably be useful someday to have an expression parser and
language specific type system, but when that comes I don't think we'd want
anything radically different than what LLDB already has.