[lldb-dev] LLDB Process Attach Failed When Waiting

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 6 14:30:30 PDT 2018

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 2:20 PM, Ryan Lovelett <ryan at lovelett.me> wrote:
>
> Huzzah! I have a working proof of concept.
>
> A few more questions (I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome):

We are very happy to see this feature coming along, so no worries. Ask as many questions as you need!

> 1. There seems to be a "sleep" capability in the DNBProcessAttachWait method [1]. I'm not exactly sure how this "sleep" function works. When I use it the sleep seems to be a no-op. Is there another function that should be used for Linux?

Sleep is used to make the system sleep the current thread a little bit between polling for processes by name. If the sleep isn't there, we will light up a CPU with really quick polling for the processes by name, so we should use usleep() which take a sleep amount in microseconds to not peg the CPU at 100% while waiting.

> 2. DNBProcessAttachWait seems to have a timeout capability [2]. As far as I can tell, the argument timeout_abstime is hard-coded as NULL. Thus rendering that timer/timeout dead code.  Should replicate that in the Linux code as well?

No need for now.

> 3. Are there, or are there expected to be, tests for this stuff?

Yes! There are many lldb-server tests already. Pavel should be able to direct you to how and where to make these tests.