[lldb-dev] Missing Value Formats for wchar_t* and char16_t*

Ben Ruthig via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 27 08:49:50 PDT 2018

Hi,

The list of Var Formats supported <https://lldb.llvm.org/varformats.html> by
LLDB appears to be missing ones for wchar_t* and char16_t data types.  I am
aware that LLDB includes built in summary providers for said types, however
the application in question uses some magic with a custom Data* to allow
the underlying data type to be defined dynamically at run time.  Thus, LLDB
is not able to infer that the actual data type is a wchar_t* and the
desired summary provider is not used.

I just wanted to see if there was already a way to accomplish this or if
not, whether a patch to address this would be welcome?

Is it possible to bind my own Named Summary to the same serializer used by
the built in wchar_t* summary provider?

Thanks,
Ben