[lldb-dev] LLDB Future Directions BoF

André Jansen Medeiros Villar via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 22 17:40:04 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm interested in understanding the why of LLDB, for that i'd love to be
able to read any meeting notes or slides of the BoF on the future of LLDB
and if possible make it available at [1] .

I'd also would like any indication of reading materials on the internals of
a debugger, preferabbly including something for begginers as the excelent
chapther for LLVM on the The Architecture of Open Source Applications book
[2].

And finally I'd ask why you chose to create LLDB when GDB was already
there, the idea of reusing LLVM components (the c++ parser and AST ?) was
proven benefical? Over the months of reading this list I've seen that
there's significant attrition on what LLVM and LLDB require of their
components and there are several cases of copying entire files with
diverging changes between each project, is there a simply reason on why or
is it a matter of needing more time to conciliate these disparate needs ?

Thx for any and all responses.

[1] http://llvm.org/devmtg/2017-10/#bof7
[2] http://www.aosabook.org/en/llvm.html