[lldb-dev] Questions about the LLDB testsuite and improving its reliability

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 17 15:26:42 PST 2018

Everything sounds good on this thread. My two cents:

We should add some post verification after each test that looks for file that are left over after the "clean" phase. This can help us catch the tests that aren't cleaning up after themselves. This will help us weed out the bad tests and fix this ASAP. This can be done both for in tree and out of tree solutions to verify there is no source polution.

We can easily move build artifacts out of the source tree. Running the test suite remotely via "lldb-server platform" has code that creates directories for each test in the platform working directory. If the test runs fine and passes, it cleans up the entire numbered test directory, else it leaves the numbered directory there so we can debug any issues. Shouldn't be hard to enable this.

I like the current default of having a new directory with the time and data with results inside as it allows comparison of one test suite run to another.

Switching build systems to cmake is fine if someone has the energy to do it, that would be great. I don't see why we would go with a lit based system that manually specifies the arguments. Seems like a pain to get the right compiler flags for creating shared libs on different systems (or executables, frameworks, etc). Seems like cmake is good at that and very simple.