[lldb-dev] Questions about the LLDB testsuite and improving its reliability

Adrian Prantl via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 17 15:04:27 PST 2018

> On Jan 17, 2018, at 2:56 PM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you mean by this.
>>
>> Instead of using a build system at all to build the tests, we would hard-code the compiler and linker invocations without encoding any dependencies. Because we still need this to be configurable, it would probably look something like this:
>>
>> RUN: %CXX test.cpp -O0 %CXXFLAGS -o test.exe
>> RUN: %test_driver test.exe mytest.py
>
> I'm worried we'd back into building another make system over time.  What advantage would we get from this.

(It's possible that this isn't the right trade-off, I'm just exploring ideas here)

Some advantages would be:
- remove the dependency on Make
- possibly easier top debug testcases because all actions are explicit
- potentially slightly faster build times because we don't need to spawn make, but note that it also means that these actions will always be unconditionally executed
- uniformity with other LLVM projects and thus a smaller cognitive burden for developers that touch both clang and lldb

On the other hand:
- everybody already knows make
- maybe we do want a full build system to allow incremental builds of testcases

-- adrian