[lldb-dev] Questions about the LLDB testsuite and improving its reliability

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 17 14:56:15 PST 2018

As a general rule, I support moving towards explicit run lines and
lit-style tests, but some care has to be taken.  If you examine the common
Makefiles, you'll see that there's already a lot of special logic for
different platforms and compilers.  It might be hard to maintain that if we
help brainstorming ideas for how to do it.

As a first idea, maybe we could have something like a REQUIRES line but
call it COMPILER-SETTINGS instead.   And you could write something like:

COMPILER-SETTINGS: pic, dwarf, shared-library

And that would be responsible for figuring out what compiler options to put
depending on the platform and compiler.

the main challenge with using explicit run lines is going to be figuring
out how to write run lines that work across all compilers and platforms.
(Luckily we don't have to care about MSVC, mostly just clang + gcc)