[lldb-dev] Questions about the LLDB testsuite and improving its reliability

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 17 14:31:05 PST 2018

I don't think new test authors really need to add CMake any more so than
they currently need to understand Make.  Which is to say, not very much.
Most Makefiles are currently 1-2 lines of code that simply does nothing
other than include the common Makefile.

On the other hand, CMake defines a lot of constructs designed to support
portable builds, so actually writing and maintaining that common CMake
build file would be much easier.  The existing Makefile-based system
already doesn't require you to understand the specific compiler invocations
you want.  Here's 3 random Makefiles, which is hopefully representative
given that I pulled them completely at random.

breakpoint-commands/Makefile:
LEVEL = ../../../make
CXX_SOURCES := nested.cpp
include $(LEVEL)/Makefile.rules

functionalities/inferior-assert:
LEVEL = ../../make
C_SOURCES := main.c
include $(LEVEL)/Makefile.rules

types:
LEVEL = ../make
# Example:
#
# CXX_SOURCES := int.cpp
include $(LEVEL)/Makefile.rules

None of this is particularly interesting.  There are a very few tests that
need to do something weird.  I opened 10 other random Makefiles and still
didn't find any.  I don't believe it would be hard to support those cases.

So now instead of "understand Make" it becomes "understand CMake".  Whic is
already a requirement of building LLVM.

If our test suite was lit-based where you actually had to write compiler
invocations into the test files, I would feel differently, but that isn't
what we have today.  We have something that is almost a direct mapping to
using CMake.