[lldb-dev] How to handle "O XX..." reply packets from gdb servers like openocd

Owen Shaw via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 1 18:30:00 PST 2018

I dug into this a bit more, and these output reply packets seem to be
handled already, but only if the program is running.

Since the relevant openocd commands are often issued when the program
paused, the reply packets aren't processed as expected.

The spec does say that reply packets can happen "any time while the
program is running", so perhaps openocd is abusing the protocol, but
gdb handles the packets just fine when stopped.

It's unclear in which other cases these packets would arrive when the
program is stopped, so I've put together a narrowed solution:

1. Adding GDBRemoteClientBase::SendPacketHandlingOutput(), with a
callback argument to handle any output
2. Calling SendPacketHandlingOutput() from
CommandObjectProcessGDBRemotePacketMonitor, providing a callback lamda
that uses an already-available output stream

It's a simpler and less intrusive solution, but will only apply to
"process plugin packet monitor" commands.  Perhaps that's sufficient.

Any thoughts still appreciated.

Thanks,
Owen