[lldb-dev] GDB RSPs non-stop mode capability in v5.0

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 3 10:15:01 PDT 2018

> On Apr 3, 2018, at 1:28 AM, Ramana <ramana.venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com <mailto:jingham at apple.com>> wrote:
> The breakpoints aren't a structural problem.  If you can figure out a non-code modifying way to handle breakpoints, that would be a very surgical change.  And as Fred points out, out of place execution in the target would be really handy for other things, like offloading breakpoint conditions into the target, and only stopping if the condition is true.  So this is a well motivated project.
>
> And our model for handling both expression evaluation and execution control are already thread-centric.  It would be pretty straight-forward to treat "still running" threads the same way as threads with no interesting stop reasons, for instance.
>
> I think the real difficulty will come at the higher layers.  First off, we gate a lot of Command & SB API operations on "is the process running" and that will have to get much more fine-grained.  Figuring out a good model for this will be important.
>
> Then you're going to have to figure out what exactly to do when somebody is in the middle of say running a long expression on thread A when thread B stops.  What's a useful way to present this information?  If lldb is sharing the terminal with the process, you can't just dump output in the middle of command output, but you don't want to delay too long...
>
> Also, the IOHandlers are currently a stack, but that model won't work when the process IOHandler is going to have to be live (at least the output part of it) while the CommandInterpreter IOHandler is also live.  That's going to take reworking.
>
> On the event and operations side, I think the fact that we have the separation between the private and public states will make this a lot easier.  We can use the event transition from private to public state to serialize the activity that's going on under the covers so that it appears coherent to the user.  The fact that lldb goes through separate channels for process I/O and command I/O and we very seldom just dump stuff to stdout will also make solving the problem of competing demands for the user's attention more possible.
>
> Thanks Jim for the elaborate view on the non-stop mode support.
>
> BTW my understanding on public vs private states is that the public state is as known by the user and all the process state changes will be first tracked with private state which then will be made public, i.e. public state will be updated, should the user need to know about that process state change. Is there anything else I am missing on public vs private states?

That’s exactly it.  Another detail worth noting is that all the user-supplied work - particularly for breakpoints, the commands, conditions etc - happens when the event is pulled off the public queue.  So we can postpone all this work for threads the notification of whose stop we’re suspending by holding back some events from the private->public transition, which will I think be helpful in making the non-stop mode behave nicely.

Jim