[lldb-dev] race condition using gdb-remote over ssh port forwarding

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 27 13:48:24 PST 2017

When I wrote the code I was assuming that when the platform lldb-server responds with the port that the gdb-remote would be ready to receive packets right away, so I can see how and why this is happening. Seems like we have the retry stuff under control when we don't get a connection right away, but we should fix this such that when we hand the port back to LLDB from platform lldb-server, it should be listening and ready to accept a connection right away with no delays needed, though this can wait until later since it currently works.

What kind of port forwarding are you using? The main issue is I would assume that when someone tries to connect to a port on the port forwarder that it would fail to connect if it isn't able to connect on the other side. So this really comes down to a question of what a standard port forwarder's contract should really be.

If anyone has extensive experience in port forward tech, please chime in.

Short answer: not sure what the right solution is as it depends on what proper port forwarding etiquette is.

Greg