[lldb-dev] lldb command like gdb's "set auto-solib-add off"

Tamas Berghammer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 23 02:50:12 PDT 2017

Few more addition to the above:

How are you running lldb-server on your device? For remote debugging
running lldb-server in platform mode (and then using remote-linux or
similar as the selected platform in LLDB) will give you a significantly
better performance over running lldb-server in gdbserver mode only and then
selecting remote-gdbserver as your platform in LLDB. The following things
*only apply* to the case when you are running lldb-server in platform mode.

If the target side libraries are backed by files on the target system then
LLDB should download them only once (at first usage) and then cache it on
the host in a module cache (even between LLDB or machine restarts). It
means that the startup time is expected to be quite high the first time you
debug on a specific device but it should be much faster afterwards (as you
already have the libraries on the host). If this is not the case it would
be interesting to see why module cache isn't working for you.

By default LLDB uses the gdb-remote protocol to download the files from the
target device what is known to be very very slow for transferring large
amount of data in bulk. For Android we implemented a faster way to download
the files using ADB what gave us a large performance gain (multiple times
faster, but don't remember exact number). You can see the code at
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/lldb/blob/a4df8399803ba766d05ef7fcd5d04dc0342d2682/source/Plugins/Platform/Android/PlatformAndroid.cpp#L190
expect that you can achieve similar gains if you implement
Platform*::GetFile and Platform*::PutFile for your platform based on a
faster method (e.g. scp/rsync)

Tamas