[lldb-dev] Support for Error Strings in remote protocol

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 10:27:24 PDT 2017

The gdb remote protocol documents say the error numbers are not well defined.  They are not meant to have any meaning.

The lldb Status (née Error) objects have different namespaces, some of which (like the Posix errors) have significant numbering, so the numbers in those cases are preserved, since they might be significant to somebody.

But we never saw any advantage to adding significant numbers to the error strings for lldb's internal errors, so we didn't do that.  The primary things in the Status class are that you had an error and the string.  This has not caused any problems internal to lldb.  We don't have a lot of operations that can fail in multiple ways that can't be independently screened and which you would react to differently depending on the mode of failure.  So this would have been an unnecessary complexity.

As to error strings from lldbserver, it seems useful to send them, but mostly because the server might be able to add bits of detail that are unavailable to lldb.  To that end, having the server present the errors is more likely to generate helpful information for the user than having a set of numbers lldb decodes statically.  Again, I doubt that making the numbers significant will be particularly useful, but carrying some extra info about the failure that might be significant to the user of lldb does seem worth a little effort.

Jim