[lldb-dev] Failure connecting to lldb-server running in local virtual machine.

Howard Hellyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 07:10:43 PST 2017

Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote on 16/02/2017 17:17:41:

> Sounds like a race condition we need to solve.

It seemed likely but I thought I'd confirm that before I investigated too
deeply just in case there was anything obvious I'd missed.

> This sounds like a very common VM issue. If you can elaborate on
> what happens with ports on your VM we might be able to deduce some
> of the problems. Filing a bug will be nice, but since you are
> running into this issue, seems like you will need to debug it and
> make it work. We are happy to assist.

Initially I was mapping ports with an offset but as part of investigating
I simplified things and now my setup just routes ports 1234 and 2345 on my
machine to 1234 and 2345 on the VM. I might retry with an offset just to
double check if that changes anything but I don't think it did.

It does seem to be fairly common, it happens with my VM and to another
colleague using docker. It works with a remote system for me but fails
with with a remote system for him.

I've had some other bits to look at today but I'll try to take a deeper
look next week. I'll try to update this thread with what I find as any
useful suggestions other people have are likely to save a bit of time.

Thanks,

Howard Hellyer
IBM Runtime Technologies, IBM Systems
Unless stated otherwise above: