[lldb-dev] Debugging ELF relocatable files using LLDB

Ramana via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 16 03:51:50 PST 2017

It looks like LLDB doesn't like ELF relocatable files for debugging
and asserts with the following message when tried

     <path to>/lldb/source/Plugins/ObjectFile/ELF/ObjectFileELF.cpp:2228:
unsigned int ObjectFileELF::RelocateSection(.....):  Assertion `false
&& "unexpected relocation type"' failed.

Are we not supposed to debug ELF relocatable files on LLDB or am I
missing something?

If we cannot debug the relocatable files, is it _simply_ because those
files lack program headers (program memory map) and relocations are
yet to be processed (for debug info) or there are other reasons?

For our target, the assembler output itself is a self contained ELF
and hence will not have external references (both code and data). I am
wondering if I can debug these ELF files on LLDB with minimal changes
which does not require a full (or proper) linking step and would
appreciate any pointers on that.

Thanks,
Ramana