[lldb-dev] Breakpoint + callback performance ... Can it be faster?

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 13 11:11:23 PST 2017

Clang just doesn't currently know where to look for the standard headers. Not sure if this is a top level code only bug or not. I know the expression parser can include common C headers on Darwin. Not sure if any includes work on linux. Try importing <stdio.h> and see how that goes?

The better way to do what you want is to write a shared library, save it to "/tmp/liba.so" and then load it at runtime:

(lldb) process load /tmp/liba.so

This will load a shared library with all of the top level code you want into your current program, then you can call any functions in that shared library as well using expressions that you need.

If you feel you still need to use the expression parser, then a few tips on the expression parser when not in top level code mode:
- C++ lambda functions that don't capture anything can be cast to function pointer types and used as static callbacks.
- Any variable you define that is prefixed with a '$' will become a global variable and persist beyond your expression (assign a function callback from C++ lambda, and you have a callback you can now use.
- Any type you declare that is prefixed with a '$' will persist beyond that expression and be available for future expressions.
- Any type returned as the result type of an expression will have its type available

Greg