[lldb-dev] LLDB Evolution - Final Form

Adrian McCarthy via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 20 14:11:31 PDT 2016

My concern about this example:

void do_something(foo *p)
{
    assert(p);
    if (p)
        p->crash();
}

Is that by skipping the operation when the pointer is null is that it's not
clear what it should do if it's precondition isn't met.  Sure, it won't
crash, but it's also not going to "do something."  This can lead to corrupt
state and postpones discovery of the bug.

If do_something is a public API, then, yes, you have to decide, document,
and implement what to do if the caller passes in a null pointer.  If it's
an internal API, then the silent elision of the crash merely hides the bug
possibly corrupts the debugger's state.  A corrupt debugging state seems
(to me) at least as bad as an obvious crash to the user.  Crashes are going
to get complained about and investigated.  Silently doing the wrong thing
just wastes everyone's time.