[lldb-dev] LLDB Evolution - Final Form

Nico Weber via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 20 13:42:35 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Ted Woodward via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]

It depends on what you use the assert for, right? If it's used to document
invariants that you control, then having them crash is ok, since those
should always be true. You shouldn't assert on input you don't control.

So in a public api, you'd do:

my_err my_public_api(int p) {
  if (p < 0 || p > 10) {
    return make_err("p must be between 0 and 10");
  internal_fun(p);
}

But then in internal_fun you can do

void internal_fun(int p) {
  assert((p >= 0 && p <= 10) && "must pass correct p");
}