[lldb-dev] LLDB Evolution - Final Form

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 19 14:34:53 PDT 2016

> [...]
>>> 			• Risk: 6
>>> 			• Impact: 3
>>> 			• Difficulty / Effort: 3  (5 if we have to add enhanced mode support)
>>
>> As long as it supports all of the features, then this is fine. Otherwise we will need to modify the regular expressions to work with the LLVM version or back port any advances regex features we need into the LLVM regex parser.
>>
>>> 		• Use llvm streams instead of lldb::StreamString
>>> 			• Supports output re-targeting (stderr, stdout, std::string, etc), printf style formatting, and type-safe streaming operators.
>>> 			• Interoperates nicely with many existing llvm utility classes
>>> 			• Risk: 4
>>> 			• Impact: 5
>>> 			• Difficulty / Effort: 7
>>
>> I have worked extensively with both C++ streams and with printf. I don't find the type safe streaming operators to be readable and a great way to place things into streams. Part of my objection to this will be quelled if the LLVM streams are not stateful like C++ streams are (add an extra "std::hex" into the stream and suddenly other things down stream start coming out in hex). As long as printf functionality is in the LLVM streams I am ok with it.
>>
>>> 		• Use llvm::Error instead of lldb::Error
>>> 			• llvm::Error is an error class that *requires* you to check whether it succeeded or it will assert.  In a way, it's similar to a C++ exception, except that it doesn't come with the performance hit associated with exceptions.  It's extensible, and can be easily extended to support the various ways LLDB needs to construct errors and error messages.
>>> 			• Would need to first rename lldb::Error to LLDBError so that te conversion from LLDBError to llvm::Error could be done incrementally.
>>> 			• Risk: 7
>>> 			• Impact: 7
>>> 			• Difficulty / Effort: 8
>>
>> We must be very careful here. Nothing can crash LLDB and adding something that will be known to crash in some cases can only be changed if there is a test that can guarantee that it won't crash. assert() calls in a shared library like LLDB are not OK and shouldn't fire. Even if they do, when asserts are off, then it shouldn't crash LLDB. We have made efforts to only use asserts in LLDB for things that really can't happen, but for things like constructing a StringRef with NULL is one example of why I don't want to use certain classes in LLVM. If we can remove the crash threat, then lets use them. But many people firmly believe that asserts belong in llvm and clang code and I don't agree.
>
> I’m surprise by your aversion to assertions, what is your suggested alternative? Are you expecting to check and handle every possible invariants everywhere and recover (or signal an error) properly? That does not seem practical, and it seems to me that it'd lead to just involving UB (or breaking design invariant) without actually noticing it.

We have to as a debugger. We get input from a variety of different compilers and we parse and use things there were produced by our toolchains and others. Crashing Xcode because someone accidentally created a llvm::StringRef(NULL) should not happen. It is not OK for library code to crash. This is quite OK for compilers, linkers and other tools, but it isn't for any other code. Since there are so many asserts, LLDB code is currently responsible for figuring out what will make clang unhappy and we must be sure to not feed it anything that makes it unhappy or we crash. So I don't see that as better.

>> Also many asserts are in header files so even if you build llvm and clang with asserts off, but then build our project that uses LLVM with asserts on, you get LLVM and clang asserts when you don't want them.
>
> It is not really supported to use the LLVM C++ headers without assertions and link to a LLVM build with assertions (and vice-versa).

As we have found out. We claim llvm and clang can be linked into tools a libraries, but it really means, you should really use it out of process because it might crash at any time so don't try and use it in a program you actually want to be able run for a long time.