[lldb-dev] [OS X] debugserver SETUID root?

René J.V. Bertin via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 1 03:37:38 PDT 2016

On Thursday September 01 2016 10:14:16 Pavel Labath wrote:

> security safeguards on osx (there certainly aren't any on linux), but

There's the codesigning bit. But that's just more a nuisance than a real protection, from what I can tell, at least against code you build and install yourself.

> I think having it installed that way is an open invitation to get
> pwned.

Looking at it that way, yes. That said, it looks like applications debugged as a regular user still run with that user's UID even if debugserver is running as root.

R.