[lldb-dev] LLDB support for python scripts in ELF section, like .debug_gdb_scripts in GDB

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 20 11:10:31 PDT 2016

We currently have the ability to support this for ELf. It is only currently hooked up for Mach-O binaries when you have a dSYM (stand alone debug info bundle). You will want to implement this for your platform:

FileSpecList
Platform::LocateExecutableScriptingResources(Target *target, Module &module,
                                             Stream *feedback_stream) {
  return FileSpecList();
}

So given an LLDB Module (executable/shared library), find any python files that should be imported. You can take a look at what we do in PlatformDarwin:

PlatformDarwin::LocateExecutableScriptingResources()

Basically it sees if the module has a stand alone debug file, and if it does, it looks for scripting resource files that will be imported. In our case we might have and module whose path is "/tmp/a.out", we ask the symbol vendor to get the symbol file ("/tmp/a.out.dSYM"), and if it has one, this file is a bundle. Inside of this bundle we look for a "a_out.py" that is relative to the file. If that file exists, it will be pulled in automatically.

So this is possible to implement for other platforms. Seems like you can have ".debug_lldb_python_scripts" section that could specify a relative (relative to the ELF file itself) or absolute path to scripting files that should be loaded when this binary gets loaded. So that shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg