[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Bill Kelly via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 14:01:22 PDT 2016

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
> Personally, I’m hugely in favor of moving llvm’s source hosting to github at
> some point, despite the fact that I continue to dislike git as a tool and
> consider monotonicly increasing version numbers to be hugely beneficial.

For whatever it's worth, our projects define a `buildnum` git alias:

  alias.buildnum=!sh -c "git rev-list --all | wc -l"

So from the shell:

  $ git buildnum
  17475

This number increases monotonically per commit.

Our build scripts make this number available in various #define forms.

(We use a little extra scripting logic to also determine whether there
are currently any unmerged or uncommitted changes, and add an annotation
to the program version in that case, e.g.  "9.3.17475 [unmerged]")

It's all stupidly simple, but seems to work well enough for us.

Regards,

Bill