[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 13:56:44 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm in favor of both going to git as the source of truth, and then
> switching the hosting to github.
>
> Echoing everyone else, this unlocks a lot of good stuff that I won't
> repeat, and most of it can be handled independently from the VCS move.
>
> The major blocker I see for the move is figuring out how we want to
> coordinate versions between the related LLVM projects. I hear *terrible*
> things about submodules, so I'd prefer a different sync mechanism, even if
> it is a bad reimplementation of repo, gclient, submodules, and all the
> other multi-repo sync tools.

In previous months , I have studied many thousands of Github repositories ,
and cloned many of them locally to compile and run .

The following difficulties may exist during LLVM works :

If a directory contains large number ( approximately more than thousand )
of files , only a part of these files are displayed and others are not
allowed to view . You may check this from OS repositories .

During cloning , if there is a reference to another repository , clone
--recursive are giving errors about contained @ sign . In that case it is
necessary to enter into sub-directories and manually clone that referenced
sub-module ( or a script should do this ) . Instead of --recursive , the
other statements may be used , but all of them have
advantages/disadvantages .

When "Download" is selected for repository , sub-modules are not downloaded
into respective sub-directories . It is necessary to visit such directories
manually one by one and download , expand , and adjust these directory
contents .

When a file is viewed in Github and returned back , Github is switching to
the top of the directory , not aligning the page at the current cursor
position . When there are large number of files in a directory , it is
causing difficulty to go down to the current cursor position  again and
continue from there .

A limited kind and size of files are shown to the user . There are many
kinds that it is possible to only viewing the content is to save repository
locally . To my experience , any single file in a repository directory is
not permitted to download to view it in that case .

I consider revision numbers as only a disastrous design : A very long
number conveying nothing other than inconvenience . Therefore it will not
be possible to specify "revert to _a_simple_number_"  elegantly . I do not
know what will be shown to say "revert to _a_cryptic_number_" .

Previously it was possible to search Github for repositories on supplied
keywords . Now , they have disabled that feature . Now , it seems only
Internet searches may find a repository ( to my experience , only very few
of them are found ) , or it may be listed in their category lists to find
only ones selected by Github .

 The most affecting points are the above ones for me as a "visitor user" of
Github repositories .
I do not have any experience as "developer user"  of Github .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk