[lldb-dev] Listing memory regions in lldb

Howard Hellyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 12 06:20:21 PDT 2016

I'm working on a plugin for lldb and need to scan the memory of a crashed
process. Using the API to read chunks of memory and scan (via
SBProcess::Read*) for what I'm looking for is easy but I haven't been able
to find a way to find which address ranges are accessible. The
SBProcess::Read* calls will return an error on an invalid address but it's
not an efficient way to scan a 64 bit address space.

This seems like it blocks simple tasks like scanning memory for blocks
allocated with a header and footer to track down memory leaks, which is
crude but traditional, and ought to be pretty quick to script via the
Python API.

At the moment I've resorted to running a python script prior to launching
my plugin that takes the output of "readelf --segments", /proc/<pid>/maps
or "otool -l" but this isn't ideal. On the assumption that I'm not missing
something huge I've looked at whether it is possible to extend LLDB to
provide this functionality and it seems possible, there are checks
protecting calls to read memory that use the data that would need to be
exposed. I'm working on a prototype implementation which I'd like to
deliver back at some stage but before I go too far does this sound like a
good idea?

Howard Hellyer
IBM Runtime Technologies, IBM Systems