[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)
Eric Christopher via lldb-dev
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 11:51:54 PDT 2016
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:43 AM Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM Hal Finkel via lldb-dev <
> lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> > From: "Hans Wennborg via cfe-dev" <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
>> > To: "llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>, "cfe-dev" <
>> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>, "LLDB Dev" <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org>,
>> > "openmp-dev (openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org)" <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org>
>> > Cc: "r jordans" <r.jordans at tue.nl>, "Paul Robinson" <
>> Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com>
>> > Sent: Monday, June 13, 2016 6:54:19 PM
>> > Subject: [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release]
>> Release plan and call for testers)
>> > Breaking this out into a separate thread since it's kind of a
>> > separate
>> > issue, and to make sure people see it.
>> > If you have opinions on this, please chime in. I'd like to collect as
>> > many arguments here as possible to make a good decision. The main
>> > contestants are 4.0 and 3.10, and I've seen folks being equally
>> > surprised by both.
>> > Brain-dump so far:
>> > - After LLVM 1.9 came 2.0, and after 2.9 came 3.0; naturally, 4.0
>> > comes after 3.9.
>> > - There are special bitcode stability rules  concerning major
>> > version bumps. 2.0 and 3.0 had major IR changes, but since there
>> > aren't any this time, we should go to 3.10.
>> > - The bitcode stability rules allow for breakage with major versions,
>> > but it doesn't require it, so 4.0 is fine.
>> > - But maybe we want to save 4.0 for when we do have a significant IR
>> > change?
>> I think that this is the right approach, and we happen to have a natural
>> forcing function here: opaque pointer types. I think we should increment
>> the major version number when opaque pointer types are here, as it will be
>> a major breaking change, and then we'll have a version 4.0. Until then,
>> unless something else breaking comes up, 3.10 sounds fine to me.
> +1, complete agreement.
While I'm not sure opaque pointer types are going to increment versions I'm
also in agreement that 3.10 is the right way to go.
> cfe-dev mailing list
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the lldb-dev