[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehdi Amini via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 11:20:16 PDT 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Scott Warren via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> My two cents worth: our group tries very hard to avoid Git because we find it immature, hard to use, and unreliable.

I'm willing to take such claims into account, but they would have to come with a technical justification. Just claiming "it is unreliable" does not make it a reality.

--
Mehdi

> [...]
>>> to the other MSVC VCSs. GitHub's desktop interface seems pretty cool,
>>> too.
>>>
>>> * Web repositories make it *a lot* easier to create add-hoc pull
>>> requests by non-developers, which could boost the number of
>>> contributions and future contributors, as well as external projects
>>> using LLVM components.
>>>
>>> * GitHub's SVN RW interface has been reported to work well for
>>> simpler projects, but we need a more thorough examination before
>>> declare it good enough for our purposes.
>>>
>>> * All reports on the thread pointed that downstream infrastructure is
>>> already using Git, so that's one less problem to worry about if we do
>>> move.
>>>

>>>  The issues that were raised:
>>>
>>> * Co-dependent patches already break buildbots, but the sequential ID
>>> helps us identify and ignore. They will continue to break, even if we
>>> use git sub-modules, so that doesn't change much, but it will be
>>> harder to spot the issue. Server side hooks may help, as well as
>>> sub-modules.
>>>
>>> * Windows tooling may be an issue. There's a separate thread handling
>>> that part, so I won't cover it here. But I have to say it wasn't by a
>>> long shot a resonant problem. It may also have some problem with
>>> symlinks and in-tree checkouts (when interacting with llvm-projects
>>> and sub-modules).
>>>
>>> * Sub-modules may help with a lot of the current relationship we have
>>> inside the SVN repo, but it also has some problems. Namely they:
>>> - require a modern version of git (1.7/1.9), but that's 2013 onward.
>>> - may need additional server side scripting, but we can keep that
>>> in another repo to control it.
>>> - won't replace SVN's monotonic IDs, but do we *really* need them?
>>> Sub-modules have a bad fame, I gather, but people in the thread
>>> reported success on using it to build validation and release
>>> infrastructure as well as doing bisects, checking out code, etc. We
>>> probably need some documentation on how to do these things, as well as
>>> some scripts to help people work out the dependencies (or use them).
>>>
>>> * GitHub/Lab/BB are not perfect. They have some interface issues, but
>>> nothing more serious than we already have on our current
>>> infrastructure. We'll probably have to keep Bugzilla (as GitHub's own
>>> is really poor), but we can replace all our repos (SVN, Git),
>>> visualisation tools (ViewVC, Klaus) and Phabricator.
>>>
>>> Of all those issues, Windows tooling is a minor problem that shouldn't
>>> impact decision that much and sub-modules need a lot of ironing out to
>>> be considered good enough. My *personal* take away is that sub-modules
>>> (or an alternative server side solution) is the only strong technical
>>> issue we need to solve before we decide.
>>>

>>> How does a move look like?
>>>
>>> If we decide to move, the proposed schedule is something like this:
>>>
>>> STEP #1 : Pre Move
>>>
>>> 0. Update docs to mention the move, so people are aware the it's going on.
>>> 1. Register an official GitHub project with the LLVM foundation.
>>> 2. Setup another (read-only) mirror of llvm.org/git at this GitHub project
>>> 3. Make sure we have a la llvm-project-submodules setup in the
>>> official account. (Optional or necessary for the buildbots?)
>>> 4. Make sure bisecting with llvm-project-submodules is a good experience
>>> 5. Make sure no one has any blocker
>>>
>>> STEP #2 : Git Move
>>>
>>> 6. Update the buildbots to pick up updates and commits from the
>>> official git repository
>>> 7. Update Phabricator to pick up commits from the official git repository
>>> 8. Tell people living downstream to pick up commits from the official
>>> git repository
>>> 9. Give things time to settle. We could play some games like disabling
>>> the svn repository for a few hours on purpose so that people can test
>>> that their infrastructure has really become independent of the svn
>>> repository.
>>>
>>> ... Until this point nothing has changed for developers, it will just
>>> boil down to a lot of work for buildbot and other infrastructure
>>> owners ...
>>>
>>> STEP #3: Write Access Move
>>>
>>> 10. Collect peoples GitHub account information, give them push access.
>>> Ideally while still locking the GitHub repository somehow...
>>> 11. Switch SVN repository to read-only and allow pushes to the GitHub
>>> repository.
>>> 12. Mirror Git to SVN.
>>>
>>> STEP #4 : Post Move
>>>
>>> 13. Archive the SVN repository, if GitHub's SVN is good enough.
>>> 14. Review and update *all* LLVM documentation.