[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 11:01:29 PDT 2016

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>> Personally, I’m hugely in favor of moving llvm’s source hosting to
>> github at some point, despite the fact that I continue to dislike
>> git as a tool and consider monotonicly increasing version numbers to
>> be hugely beneficial.
>
> Getting a monotonically increasing revision number seems doable in git
> with some server-side scripting using git notes or named tags (yet to
> be seen is how to achieve it *reliably* with github hosting).
> However the challenge is more about sharing this number across
> repositories (i.e. having clang and llvm in sync). I can imagine some
> tooling for that, but with a github hosting it may still be fragile.

What exactly is the concrete benefit of monotonically increasing
revision numbers?  It's completely foreign to git's architecture.

Putting this requirement on git is going to severely limit how the
history is allowed to look.  Maybe that's what people want, I don't
know.  We certainly haven't missed them since moving to git.

                             -David