[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 1 14:55:42 PDT 2016

On 1 July 2016 at 17:32, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
> My issue with using tags like this is that they pollute the tag
> namespace and will quickly swamp what I consider to be the important
> ones ("release-X"). OK, so we've got "git tag -l 'release*'" but
> that's pretty ugly.

What if we had a mixed mode?

Say we create a tag for each release, and we know what was the last
release's tag number (245234), then we just need to count how many
commits "since the last tag", which will always be the last release.

This will have all the tags we want, and scale forever.

Is rev-list able to do that?

--renato