[lldb-dev] Inquiry for performance monitors

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 4 05:18:27 PST 2016

On 4 February 2016 at 12:49, Abhishek Aggarwal <abhiinnitald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Pavel
>
> As per my understanding, instead of doing it by expression evaluation
> if the code (to enable pt and gathering the raw traces) is written on
> lldb-server side, then also lldb-server will have to wait for the
> inferior to stop in order to encapsulate all the traces in packets and
> send them to client for analysis.
>
> Is it possible that client can request the lldb-server to send it a
> part of the raw traces while the inferior is still running?

Hi,

This is certainly possible. The server already sends us the stdout
from the inferior this way. There is even some support for gathering
"profile data" in the client (see
GDBRemoteCommunicationClient.cpp:1286), presumably gathering data from
debugserver, as lldb-server does not send such packets. If needed, we
can send the same packets from lldb-server. Or, if these are not
suitable, we can add another kind of packets -- the protocol through
which they communicate is fully under our control.

cheers,
pl