[lldb-dev] debugserver and llvm

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 27 15:14:14 PDT 2016

What is the status of using LLVM from debugserver?  AFAICT, it doesn't use
llvm, but it DOES use some lldb private libraries, in which case it is
already implicitly linking against LLVM anyway.

So why can't LLVM headers be included and used from debugserver?  Just now
I was changing the signature of an LLDB function to include an llvm header,
and I got everything working and ready to go but searched through code that
doesn't compile on Windows, and I noticed that debugserver includes some
headers from lldb, and since those lldb headers are including llvm headers,
I'm assuming this is not going to work.  But I think I'm missing something,
because AFAICT this will already cause a link dependency from debugserver
to llvm, and has been for some time.  So I'm not entirely sure what the
status is of this.

In any case, I know the easy way out is to just say don't include an llvm
header from that lldb header, but I don't think that's a great idea as I
think the patch I'm working on is a big win for performance, code
readability, and simplicity.

It looks like there is already precedent for debugserver to copy some code
from lldb and keep a local copy in debugserver, for example JSON.h and
JSON.cpp seem to be copies of the code from lldb/Utility.  Can this be done
for StringExtractor.h as well so that I can reference llvm from within
StringExtractor.h in lldb?