[lldb-dev] LLDB Evolution

Vedant Kumar via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 8 18:12:49 PDT 2016

FWIW, as a happy lldb user, it's exciting to read about these planned
developments.

I have two follow-up questions about the section on 'Testing Strategy
Evaluation': (1) what is lldb's policy on including test updates with bug fix
commits and functional changes, and (2) how is this policy enforced?

AFAICT, it seems that lldb is not as strict about its test policy as other llvm
sub-projects. That could be to its detriment. Here are some very rough numbers
on the number of commits which include test updates [1]:

  - lldb: 287 of the past 1000 commits
  - llvm: 511 of the past 1000 commits
  - clang: 622 of the past 1000 commits
  - compiler-rt: 543 of the past 1000 commits

NFC commits make these numbers a bit noisy. But, unless lldb has a much higher
ratio of NFC commits to functional changes as compared to other llvm
sub-projects, this is a concerning statistic.

best,
vedant

[1] Based on ToT = r278069.

HAS_TEST=0
TOTAL=1000
for HASH in $(git log --oneline -n$TOTAL | cut -d' ' -f1); do
  git show --stat $HASH | grep "|" | grep -q test && HAS_TEST=$((HAS_TEST+1))
done
echo $HAS_TEST "/" $TOTAL