[lldb-dev] [RFC] Contributing platform support for Linux on SystemZ

Ulrich Weigand via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 11 10:51:26 PDT 2016

Hello Pavel,

> It's exciting to see support for new platforms being added to LLDB.
> I've had a brief glance at the patch set and I was surprised at how
> few changes you had actually needed to make to lldb core to support
> this. The patches look good at a first glance, but they will need to
> be reviewed by respective code owners.
>
> Going forward, the best way to handle this would be to create a
> phabricator account and submit the patches there. This will make the
> review much easier. For reviewers, you can use the CODE_OWNERS.txt
> file (or just git history). If you don't know the right person, just
> pick Greg Clayton for general stuff and me or Tamas Berghammer for
> Linux-specific code, and we will route it further if needed.

OK, sure, I will do that.  Thanks for the pointers!

> Also, please run clang-format on your patches before submission. Let
> me know if you need any help setting that up.

Well, in some cases existing / surrounding code already differs from
the format enforced by clang-format (e.g. space vs. no space before
the '(' of a function call).  I've now used clang-format on all the
new files, and most other changes, except where the style would
directly contradict surrounding code.

> > This should provide complete support for debugging the base SystemZ
> > platform. Not yet supported are optional features like transaction
support
> > (zEC12) or SIMD vector support (z13). Note that there is no instruction
> > emulation, since our ABI requires that all code provides correct DWARF
CFI
> > in .eh_frame to support unwinding.
>
> Is the CFI info correct at all PC locations, or only at call sites
> (synchronous vs. asynchronous exceptions). If it's the latter, you may
> still need to do some instruction emulation to "augment" the CFI info
> for it to be usable at non-call-sites. However, that's definitely not
> a blocker now...

It should be correct at all PC locations (-fasynchronous-unwind-tables).

> > Looking forward to working with you on getting SystemZ support
upstream! I'd
> > also be happy to take on ongoing maintenance (setting up a build bot,
fixing
> > issues as they come up, etc ...).
>
> Setting up a buildbot is definitely recommended and it will make
> further significantly easier.

I'll look into setting this up once the code is in.

Thanks for your comments!

Bye,
Ulrich