[lldb-dev] Review of API and remote packets

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 1 02:00:48 PDT 2016

I second Greg's suggestions, and I have some thoughts of my own:

- with the proposed API, it is not possible to get a trace for newly
created threads - the process needs to be stopped first, so you can
enable trace collection. There certainly are cases where this could be
problematic, e.g. if you get a crash early during thread creation and
you want to figure out how you got there. For this to work, we might
need an API like
SBProcess::TraceNewThreads(...)
or
SBProcess::TraceAllThreads(...)
with the assumption that "all" also includes newly created threads in
the future.

I'm not saying this needs to be done in the first implementation, but
I think that we should at least design the API in a way that will not
make adding this unnecessarily hard in the future (e.g. the idea of
returning an SBTrace object might be problematic, since you don't know
if/how many threads will be created).

Also, thinking about new APIs, should we have a way to mark an API as
incubating/experimental? Maybe it would be good to mark these new APIs
as experimental for a while, so we have an option of changing them in
the future, if it turns out we have made the wrong decision. I was
thinking of either a naming convention
(SBThread::StartTraceExperimental) or some annotation/comment on the
methods. When we are confident this design is good, we can remove the
promote the api into the "stable" set.

pl