[lldb-dev] Windows build questions

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 7 14:42:02 PDT 2015

Awesome, thanks Zachary!

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> +Stephane because he just went through the pain of getting a working build
> on Windows, so he might be able to point out some gotchas.
>
> *About VS 2015*
> VS 2015 does not work because of Python.  Technically, it could
> theoretically work but you won't be able to run the test suite at all.  I
> don't plan to put a significant amount of effort into addressing this.
> Instead, this will be solved automatically if / when we address
> http://llvm.org/pr24461.  You can use VS 2013 community edition though.
> TL;DR of the reason VS 2015 doesn't work is because a) Python and the
> program embedding python must be compiled with the same compiler, and b)
> Python doesn't compile with VS 2015 because it relies on implementation
> details of the CRT, which changed in 2015.

Whoops, glad I did a VM snapshot before installing VS 2015 :-)

> *About Windows 10*
> The build shoudl work fine on Windows 10 x64.  That's what I use every
> day.  But you should still build an x86 LLDB, not an x64 one.  x64 should
> work in theory (insofar as the build should succeed), but the actual
> runtime support isn't there yet so many things will fail.

Okay great.

> A couple of things you might run into:
>
> 1) Make sure PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH are *not* set, otherwise LLDB's
> python and system python can run into conflicts.
>
> 2) Make sure you check out and build LLD, test executables must be linked
> with LLD or they will not have debug info.  Also, make sure you specify
> LLDB_TEST_COMPILER on the cmake command line to point to a clang.exe (If
> you use a release clang then ninja check-lldb will be faster by an order of
> magnitude)
>
> 3) Make sure you build Python from source, run the
> install-custom-python.py, and specify -DPYTHON_HOME on the CMake command
> line.

Very helpful, thank you!  Especially the bits about clang speed.  Since
I'll be running in a VM, I'll appreciate any speed improvements I can get.

> Most of this is covered on the website build instructions, but I admit
> it's a lot of steps, and it's easy to miss one.  Solving pr24461 should
> greatly simplify everything about building on Windows when I finally get
> around to it, but it's a lot of work.  Still follow the build instructions
> anyway because there's other things as well, but the above 3 are probably
> the most likely to trip you up.
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM Todd Fiala via lldb-dev <
> lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've read the Windows lldb build instructions.  I have a few questions
>> just to verify before I put too much time into that end:
>>
>> * Has the build been vetted on Windows 10 64-bit yet?
>>
>> * Can Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition work as the compiler
>> toolchain?  (VS 2012+ is listed as okay, so I'm hoping yes).
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> -Todd

Now that I have a change ready that should not change behavior on Windows
lldb, I was hoping to check it in and view the windows buildbots here:
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders

But the two I found don't seem to run the test phase?  They say they're
skipping the test part if I read it right, and the compile ninja output
doesn't look like it's snuck into that step.  What's the right builder for
me to look at for seeing Windows test results?
--
-Todd