[lldb-dev] RFC: Making unit tests run by default on ninja check-lldb

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 09:30:56 PDT 2015

Right now there are two ninja check targets: "ninja check-lldb", which
 runs dotest and all of the SB API tests, and "ninja check-lldb-unit" which
runs the gtest unit test suite.

I would like to make unit tests run by default.  This entails two things,
which could be done independently of each other.

1) Rename check-lldb to check-lldb-python, and create a new check-lldb that
depends on check-lldb-unit and check-lldb-python.  This way, when you run
"ninja check-lldb" you get both.

2) Update the build bots to run both.  We would probably want them as a
separate step, so the existing step that runs "ninja check-lldb" would need
to change to run "ninja check-lldb-python" instead.  To add a unit test
step, we would need to add another step that runs "ninja check-lldb-unit".

The big unknown here is how to make the buildbots understand unit test
failures and trigger a failure when ninja check-lldb-unit fails.  A
potential first step could be to just update the buildbot to run ninja
check-lldb-python instead, and don't add the second step, but if there's
anyone who knows how to make it parse the output of ninja check-lldb-unit
and report as a failure, that would be great.