[lldb-dev] lldb fails to hit breakpoint when line maps to multiple addresses

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 8 11:57:21 PDT 2015

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 5:07 PM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Another way to do this - which I thought about originally but rejected as too much delicate machinery for the desired effect - is to add the notion of "clusters" of locations to the breakpoint.  Instead of eliding all the segments with the same line number into one location, you'd make a location per segment but treat them as a cluster, where a hit on one location in the cluster would set a flag telling you to auto-continue the other locations in the cluster till "something happened to reset the cluster".  You'd have to figure out good heuristics for that "something happened".  You could probably get away with "frame changed" and "hit the location that I hit the first time I hit the cluster".  But I'd have to think a bit harder about this to assure myself this was good enough.  And you'd have to keep a side table of history for each breakpoint which you'd have to manage...  Nothing impossible, but it didn't seem worth the effort at the time.
>
> Anyway, if you are sufficiently motivated to give this a try, it would be a more general solution to the problem without requiring user intervention - either having to press continue some undetermined number of times, or create the breakpoints with some special option.

BTW, Greg points out that one could teach the Thread Plans to treat step over a source line that has a breakpoint on it to do this job as well.  That will save you from having to store history information off to one side.  This approach might be worth pursuing, though I bet it will end up being trickier than it seems at first glance...

Jim