[lldb-dev] Thread resumes with stale signal after executing InferiorCallMmap

Eugene Birukov via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 12:03:19 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am using LLDB 3.7.0 C++ API. My program stops at a certain breakpoint and if I call SBFrame::EvaluateExpression() there, when I let it go it terminates with SIG_ILL on an innocent thread. I dug up into this, and there seems to be two independent problems there, this mail is about the second one.

EvaluateExpression() calls Process::CanJIT() which in turn executes mmap() on the inferior. This mmap gets SIG_ILL because execution starts at address which is 2 bytes before the very first mmap instruction. I am still looking why LLDB server decided to do that - I am pretty sure that the client asked to set the program counter to correct value.So, the thread execution terminates and the signal is recorded on Thread::m_resume_signal. This field is not cleared during Thread::RestoreThreadStateFromCheckpoint() and fires when I resume the program after breakpoint.
So, what would be the best way to deal with the situation? Should I add "resume signal" field to ThreadStateCheckpoint? Or would StopInfo be a better place for that? Or something else?

Thanks,
Eugene