[lldb-dev] reply: reply: lldb debug jit-compiled code with llvm on windows

Tamas Berghammer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 30 03:47:50 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:18 AM haifeng_q <haifeng_q at foxmail.com> wrote:

> Question 1:
> On the windows, I use the code implements a function (see
> debug_target.cpp) of JIT (see debug_target_process.cpp), but when
> generating debug information, no production .symtab section for information
> that leads LLDB get JIT debugging information .symtab failure , and then
> set a breakpoint to fail.
>  LLDB command: lldb_result.txt
>  JIT compilation results: debug_target.ll
>
>  Question 2:
>  How JIT debugging supported on Linux?

I theory when a new function is JIT-ed then __jit_debug_register_code
function is called where LLDB have a breakpoint set. When that breakpoint
is hit then LLDB reads the JIT-ed elf file based on the information in
__it_debug_descriptor
and processes all debug info in it.

In practice when I last tried JIT debugging with lldb and lli (few weeks
ago) it get the notification for the new JIT-ed elf file but it processed
only the eh_frame from it even though symtab and full debug info was also
provided. Most likely there is some issue around the JIT breakpoint
handling or around the elf file parsing code in LLDB what needs
some investigation.