[lldb-dev] bindings as service idea

Todd Fiala via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 19 13:24:24 PST 2015

>> If so, does this mean everyone needs to generate a cert locally?

Generally not - as long as the server is dishing out something over https,
the server will be signed with a certificate that is going to be in the
local OS's set of trusted root certificates (particularly if this is
provided by Google).  It is true that a die-hard self OS builder can
totally build their own trusted set of roots, but that's going beyond.  (It
is possible to buy/procure very cheap certificates that come from
Certificate Authorities that are generally not popular or well known enough
to be in the stock set of Microsoft/OS X/Ubuntu trusted roots, but this is
totally avoidable.)

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:

> The server is sending back code.  I'd want to know I can trust whoever is
> sending me back code that I plan to build and run locally.
>
> Jim
>
> > On Nov 19, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Zachary Turner via lldb-dev <
> lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM Todd Fiala <todd.fiala at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Some other points we need to consider on the bindings-as-service idea:
> >
> > * The service should be exposed via secure connection (https/ssl/etc.)
> This might already be guaranteed on the Google end by virtue of the
> endpoint, but we'll want to make sure we can have a secure connection.
> (This will be a non-issue for standing up a custom server, but the official
> one should have this taken care of).
> >
> > If the only thing we're sending from client -> server is packaged up
> source code which is already available on the open source repository, and
> the server doesn't require authentication, is this necessary?
> >
> > If so, does this mean everyone needs to generate a cert locally?

-Todd