[lldb-dev] [Lldb-commits] [lldb] r253317 - Add Pythonic language binding wrapper generation script.

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 11:46:38 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM Todd Fiala <todd.fiala at gmail.com> wrote:

> My intent here is to only provide the --allow-static-binding option on
> cmake if it is explicitly turned on.  And it will be off by default.

I know, but I don't really like adding options that nobody is going to use,
because it makes maintaining the build files more difficult, and when
people ask questions on the list about how to use various options, chances
are nobody is going to know because there's nobody maintaining that
codepath.  So I lean on the side of not even having the option.  There's
already a bunch of paths in the CMake build that don't even work because
they're not maintained and nobody uses them.  I'd actually like to go
through and remove that complexity from the CMake build at some point.

> Tell me more about the service idea.  How would you envision it working?

Well, pretty much like I described earlier.  I write a python script,
called swig-bot.py.  You run it like this (I've fabricated an example of
what the output of the tool might look like):

~/lldb$ scripts/swig-bot.py --lang Python --outdir scripts/Python/bindings
scripts/lldb.swig
swig-bot packaging up input files
scripts/lldb.swig
scripts/SBAddress.i
scripts/SBAttachInfo.i
scripts/SBBlock.i
scripts/SBBreakpoint.i
scripts/SBBreakpointLocation.i
scripts/SBBroadcaster.i
scripts/SBCommandInterpreter.i
scripts/SBCommandReturnObject.i
scripts/SBCommunication.i
scripts/SBCompileUnit.i
scripts/SBData.i
scripts/SBDebugger.i
transmitting input files...
awaiting response...
Generation
Output: scripts/Python/bindings/LLDBWrapPython.cpp
Output: scripts/Python/bindings/lldb.py

Now you add the 2 output files to your CL, diff them to verify sanity, and
submit.