[lldb-dev] RFC: Namespaces in lldb

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 20 13:23:57 PDT 2015

On 20 March 2015 at 16:11, Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote:

> So the global namespace is probably getting a bit polluted in LLDB, but none of that is exported so it only affects LLDB internally. We should at some point start converting plug-ins over to using a namespace for each plug-in so we can avoid the global namespace, but there is no immediate need unless someone just has free time.

There's one advantage of doing at least a subset of plugins now
though: we have a growing set of new developers working on LLDB, and I
expect we'll see even more in the future. It would be good to have a
few examples of best practices for plug-ins.

As the core matures and LLDB becomes a viable debugger for a growing
set of targets I suspect we'll see new contributors who primarily
interact with the LLDB project by developing a small set of plug-ins
for their specific platform.