[lldb-dev] RFC: Namespaces in lldb

Tamas Berghammer tberghammer at google.com
Fri Mar 20 04:58:05 PDT 2015

Hi All,

In lldb I see that most of the classes are leaving in the lldb or in the
lldb_private namespace but we have some class in the global scope. What is
the rule we want to use about placing our classes in namespaces? When we
want to put a class into lldb, when we want to put it into lldb_private and
when we want to leave it in the global scope (do we want to leave anything
in the global namespace)?

The current stage is that we have the classes in "lldb/API" and a few other
files in the lldb namespace, a lot of thing in the lldb_private namespace
and some class in the global namespace. As a first approximation I would
suggest to keep the classes in "lldb/API" in the lldb namespace and
everything else in lldb_private but it might not be sufficient in all
cases.

I think this issue doesn't cause us any major problem right now, so I don't
plan to move every class to the proper namespace with a few commits but I
hope we can make an agreement about what is the preferred location for the
different classes and then make progress to move them to the right place
(e.g.: when somebody do bigger changes to a class what is not in the
correct namespace he/she can also move it to the right place).

Tamas